Programming boot camps are technical training programs which offer students who have little or no knowledge about coding. These bootcamps give an opportunity to its enrollers to develop professional grade, job skills by accelerated, intensive and immersive training programs. These programs focus on real experimental skill building in an array of program languages. On completion, graduates are well trained and well prepared to pursue and get a mid-level job in programming.
Usually, programming bootcamps last for about 8-12 weeks which demand students to spend at least 90-100 hours per week on dedicated studying. Majority of the camps follow a weekly schedule in which the learners are taken from basic topics to complex topics gradually. Students get an understanding of programming and achieve coding skills by means of classroom-based lectures and hands-on training programs. Intensive, grueling and demanding are the adjectives used to describe such programming bootcamps. They are mostly operational five days of the week. Sometimes, you may be required to work in the evenings and on weekends to complete the assigned projects. Programming bootcamps involve a collaboration of individual as well as group projects, lectures, homework, guest lectures and presentations.
Advantages and disadvantages of programming bootcamps
- Development of career focused skills
- Cheaper than compared to four-year degrees
- Quicker graduation
- Development of technical skills
- Tutoring from professional programmers
- No need to take any student loan
- Intensive learning environment
- May need relocation
- No well-rounded education
- No learning of computer science theory
- No college degree
Are you suited for such camps?
Taking part in a programming bootcamp demands from you a great deal of time and money. Even though these bootcamps maybe difficult they will definitely lead you to new job opportunities. Finding out the ideal choice for yourself can prove to be a very challenging task. Below are a few questions which will help you decide if you are really made for such bootcamps.
- Career goals: programming bootcamps give students a workable amount of knowledge in computer programming. Before enrolling, it is necessary that you identify your goals and motivations. Is your goal to start a company or to develop skills to change your existing career? Prior to enrolling, you should make sure that your aspirations run parallel to what you will be learning at these programming bootcamps.
- Budget: these days, financial help and scholarships are not easily available. Few programming bootcamps offer discounts if the tuition is completely paid before the commencement of the course. Few other bootcamps may defer the tuition payment till the completion of the course and the student acquires a secure job.
- Other costs: Other the regular tuition fees, these programming bootcamps may demand you to relocate and will lead to other housing expenses. Most of such programming bootcamps are held in major cities. Hence an aspiring student must be ready to move to the concerned city to attend the program. Is moving to another city suitable for you? Are you going to be able to finance other expenditures like housing and food during your stay? These are a few questions that you should ask yourself before blindly enrolling for a programming bootcamp.
- Intense environment: ninety nine percent of the programming bootcamps function from Monday to Friday. These courses demand its students to spend eight to twelve hours studying with dedication. Are you moulded to face such a challenging curve learning only about programming? If you are not built for such a tight schedule but you still enrol for a programming bootcamp, you may be at the risk of falling behind in the course and it will be very difficult to catch up.
Considerations while choosing a programming bootcamp
The three major things to consider while you choose a programming bootcamp for yourself are:
- Focus on programming language: Most of the programming bootcamps concentrate on coaching its students regarding a single programming language. As an aspiring student you should first find out which computer language is bet suited for your future career plans and then enroll yourself in that respective course.
- Quality of tutors: prior to enrolling for any programming bootcamp, find out if the tutors are professionals and have enough experience and knowledge to impart to you.
- Placements: The basic reason why you are enrolling for a programming bootcamp is to get a new job. Ensure that the bootcamp you are joining offers resume support, career placement services and job fairs.
Programming bootcamps are conducted all year long. You need to find out the time and location of the course that suits you the best. Once you have established the fact that a programming bootcamp is the best way to give wings to your career, you should carefully value the above-mentioned factors. Don’t forget to give yourself a head-start by utilizing free resources available online. Websites like helpdesklite, treehouse, and other coding websites offer great information and free classes to cut your teeth. By doing this you will ensure that you reap maximum benefits out of the program at an economical price.